Friday, October 7, 2011

Bundled up in sweaters and laughter

We've been experiencing a sudden and, might I say unwelcome, cold front the last few days. Yesterday I believe we had a high somewhere in the 30s when it had been in the 70s just on Monday and it was raining on and off to boot. Intelligent me wore sandals to school because that makes sense right? Thankfully, frostbite hasn't claimed me yet though I did make sure to wear sturdier shoes today. It has been months since I last wore socks :/

This also means that there is snow on the mountains again. I am not ready for snow. Especially since I never did get to see those pretty red trees in the canyon, now covered in white. Alas, Utah weather is a fickle creature and fall seems to be its least favorite season. More's the pity.

It's been odd to see so much outerwear around campus due to the weather. I wore my pea-coat today and, much as I like it, the whole ensemble feels too much like winter for my present liking. Scarves are also making their reappearance from closets and storage bins, the site of which reminded me of this:

This is Hipster Deer, property of an Emily Robinson, a good friend of mine from high school who is a lucky duck attending art school in NYC. you can see her most recent comic adventure here: http://dodger-d.deviantart.com/
The point being that dear Hipster Deer would blend right in on campus considering this seems to still be the popular style around here. Oddly, I'm more fond of the get-up on the deer than on people.

In other news, I feel rather productive today despite all the tasks I have to complete this weekend. This mostly came from a phone call to a caterer earlier today. I hate talking on the phone with people I don't know. Loathe it. I'm just an awkward phone-talker which makes things generally painful. Because of this, I usually do whatever I can to post-pone making such calls but some things can only be put off for so long within reason and today I just decided to grab life by the...er...keypad...and do it. Such a silly little thing isn't it? And yet, it's the small and simple things that can prove to be the greatest blessings or, in this case, mood boosters. There's still loads to do for the wedding of course not to mention the two group papers, massive amounts of reading, and first draft of my middle grade story for my English class to get through this weekend. Ah, one foot at a time, yes?

It's amazing to me how the small things can get you through like meeting up with a friend unexpectedly and then having they walk home with you, having a few quiet moments with the ones you love even if it really only is like ten minutes. The Lord knows exactly what we need and I've discovered the wonderful feeling of moving through a long and rough day of ups and downs, head-aches and frustrations and still managing to bounce back with a happy and smiling attitude. I didn't even realize that had happened yesterday until I was rolling into bed. It's a good feeling though, one I hope I can learn to cultivate more often because it's not as if the going's going to get any easier, you know? But that doesn't mean it has to get any less fun :)

3 comments:

  1. You are simply sublime, my dear. :) I am soooo with you on hating talking on the phone with people I don't know. :( And it's so amazing when those seemingly small tasks are taken care of! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, by the way, I LOVE THAT DEER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, he's pretty awesome isn't he?

    ReplyDelete