One thing I do consider fairly often is the family I'm marrying into. Don't get me wrong, these are not the musings of an apprehensive bride-to-be. As I've expressed many times, I absolutely love Tim's family. It's more like I'm learning more and more just how big and varied that family is!
For instance. Last night Tim and I were finally able to go back to the temple. It had been probably over two weeks so we were both excited. It was to be a humorous endeavor from the start as Tim's car was in Salt Lake. He had left it there and brought his work truck home with him for the one extermination job he has today close to home. Which meant we'd be taking the truck to the temple. This might not seem all that entertaining, if a little unconventional, but I should explain. This truck is tricked out with the company logo and banners that wrap around the whole thing. I should have taken a picture to show but hopefully these will give you an idea:

That grassy banner goes all the way around the truck and that cut little about-to-be-dead bug is front and center on the hood. I love the truck, seriously. I think it's fabulous and it's probably some of the best vehicle-media advertisements I've seen in a while. You can probably understand why it would seem hilarious to me, though, to drive to the temple in this, all decked out in Sunday best :P We both agreed that it might be a good idea to park in the lower lot, no need to freak out other temple attenders. [Though I do find it highly amusing to have lunch with Tim in his truck and see the look on people's faces when an extermination truck pulls up to Taco Bell, etc. haha]
I digress.
At any rate, I was prepared for some entertainment but neither of us were prepared for the noise that greeted us when the ignition was turned, which was an unfortunate kind of clicking, but no roaring engine [as roaring as you can expect from a little Ford Ranger anyway :)]. But no, the car refused to start. It was quickly decided that the issue was the battery and Tim promptly called one of his brother's for assistance. He showed up after a few minutes, being one of the two brothers that happens to live within 5 blocks of my apartment. It took several tries and lots of disbelief at the state of the incredibly corroded battery before the truck sputtered to life again.
During this whole process I'll admit I wasn't much help. I don't know much about cars aside from how to fill them up, clean the windshield, check the oil, and a general idea of how changing a tire should go. Not that I've ever changed one. At any rate, electric currents are one of those things I'm solidly against messing with myself, I'd probably blow something up. So I stood by and watched quietly as the two men worked to resuscitate the vehicle. By the time we were on our way again, not a word had been exchanged between myself and Tim's brother. On my part, it's mostly because he intimidates me a little. All of Tim's brothers, like him, are tall and can be a little imposing. On top of that, I have a small understanding of how much this particular brother knows, has done, and is capable of [in happy ways, I assure you. He's not an ax murderer or anything]. Still, in my position of about-to-be-family, someone else might have been offended by the lack of recognition of their presence. Personally, I found it bemusing. [Isn't that a fabulous word? A perfect description for the feeling instead of having to clutter your sentence with both bewildering and amusing. Much cleaner. And fun to say besides!]
To explain, I found the situation bemusing because I had a difficult time deciding if he actually didn't like me and was ignoring me with that intent or if he was simply being somewhat shy and anti-social as he has been before. Tim assured me that if his brother didn't like me it would be very apparent and that he had probably just been somewhat uncomfortable considering he doesn't really know me at all. I accept this explanation because I trust Tim's knowledge of his family completely but also because I like his brother, for all his quiet giant-like imposition, and I like to think that I haven't been ruled out as a decent person in his mind.
The excitement and family did not end there though. We arrived safely at the temple and though it was past 9:30 when we swept in, they still took us, amazing as they are. We were the only two in the baptistry which was uncommon enough and completely unheard of for the Provo temple besides. It was a great experience though. It was with great surprise that we discovered that one of the temple workers helping out that night not only had the same last name as Tim, he was actually his cousin! One Tim actually hadn't seen since he was about 8. It's a delightfully small world sometimes, isn't it? There are 9 children in Tim's family and there are about that in his father's family. And I thought my mom's family was huge :P
In other news: I am so freaking excited!!!!!! Chelsea Cassandra Poplin Hickman [that mouthful deserves an awesome acronym. Calico Cats Play Hangman?] and her hubby are coming back to Provo!!!! Tomorrow to be precise, though the time of their arrival is more ambiguous. I am so stoked to have Chelsea back in town. Yes, I understand that she's married and so things won't be the same and blah blah blah, but hey, automatic couple friends? I think yes! So yeah, kind of excited.
Anyway, it's been a while since I've given you readers [I realize I'm probably just talking to like 2 people :P] anything to entertain you so here goes!
This kitten is my favorite
I have no idea what they're saying for the most part but I love this. It's been ages since I watched any Japanese pop. I forgot how much I enjoy it. lol
How neat is this?! haha :)
Love this song :)
And this one's growing on me more and more
No comments:
Post a Comment