So, the last week and a half was spent in almost a completely empty apartment because the building my roommate and I were to move into wasn't ready to be lived in yet. However, on Monday we were finally given the go ahead to move across the parking lot on Tuesday night. What ensued was several long, sleep-deprived days of packing, moving, and cleaning. A great pre-semester warm-up, right? For all of which Tim was an absolute trouper and amazing help.
Yesterday I took a step out of my comfort zone and left work early to go catch up on sleep. I know, it probably sounds like a pretty pathetic step, but for me it's something I've never been able to convince myself to do unless I had an appointment or something. I've got some complex about being at work when and as long as expected being more important than taking personal needs into account. Even in the summer. When there's nothing to do at work anyway. Bleh. Thanks to Tim's encouragement though, and my own utter exhaustion, I managed to leave after half my shift and went home to sleep the afternoon away. Thankfully, no one else will really be moving in until today so the apartment was blissfully quiet.
After sleeping the day away I thought I should be some kind of productive so I rolled up my sleeves and dived into those boxes I just packed two days earlier. I realized as I unpacked that every time I've moved I unpack and organize my bookshelves first. Every time. Surely this isn't the most logical way to unpack. I figure most people start with those things they'll actually be using first but for some reason I can't do anything else until my books are arranged, filling the shelves to overflowing. My only explanation is that this is the best way for me to feel at home, to have my favorite things all set up. Also, my books are probably the one thing that take up the most space as a group...haha
I had to laugh as we then tried to organize food and dish stuff because the amount of stuff we had for three people made it look, to me, like there were already 6 people living there. We discovered quickly that our cabinet space is much smaller than it was in our other apartment. Thank goodness for my roommate's shelving unit that will probably save us from exploding cabinets and dish avalanches!
Right now, I can tell that the freshmen have officially hit campus. Usually I can't hear much from my desk aside from the random and sometimes painfully personal phone calls, but today I'm surprised there aren't librarians roaming around with index finger to lips and shushing all the freshmen that are clogging the hallways. I have my break in a little bit and, truth be told, I'm a little anxious to venture out of the office, haha. This is, however, simply another reminder that the semester begins on Monday! I've been raring for this for the last month and half or so of summer but now I'm finding myself in that strange twilight-zone-ish realm of skeptical disbelief. It's just odd to have the reality present to me that, come Monday, I will not be working 8 hour days at the library anymore. Nope. No more full time for me folks. It's back to classrooms and notebooks and navigating choked walkways against students trying to swim upstream. That last part I'm not really eager for. Seriously. How hard is it really to just walk on the right side of the path? Too hard apparently :P
I will say that I am excited for classes to start again. I miss learning, to be honest, haha. This semester is going to be crazy but I have high hopes for it too :)
Today I think I shall leave you with some cat pictures. Because I can. Hopefully I can find something more thought-provoking to talk about next time. I promise I have thought-provoking thoughts. They all just seem to magically flee sometimes when I sit down to type :P

No comments:
Post a Comment