Monday, April 4, 2011

General Conference

I can't imagine a better way to have spent the weekend :)

I know that when I was younger I didn't pay as much attention to General Conference, the speakers and their messages as I probably should have but the past two years have helped me develop real appreciation and gratitude for these opportunities we have to "listen to a prophet's voice." With this growing has come genuine excitement for these opportunities and the wonder that comes when you find questions answered through various talks and even the spirit that's present during the songs. I went into this conference weekend rather confused and scrambled about a lot of things and though I wasn't specifically looking for any answers I found them anyway.

For starters, the weekend was amazing simply because I got to spend basically all of it with Tim. We crashed at my place Saturday morning and despite a somewhat temperamental internet broadcast we were able to catch the first session before heading up to Salt Lake. I'd never been to a session live before so there are a lot of things I learned for this weekend's experience:

1. Get a parking pass
I had never heard of parking passes for conference until the Sunday before and
none had been included with the tickets my mom had sent me so Tim and I
had to scramble for parking. Thanks to an awesome old man, though, we
were steered away from streets that would guarantee us a ticket if we parked
there.

2. Get there early
In the words of a friend, if you get there early, you're late. Because we had
watched the first session in Provo and made a stop at Wal*Mart on the way up, we
didn't get into Salt Lake until around 1:30, which is when they apparently start
seating everyone. How they tell those with tickets apart from those with standby
tickets, I'll never know. Anyway, because we were a bit late and had to park about 6
blocks away, we got the full "standing in line with a lot of other people who
also don't know what they're doing or if it really matters what door we go in
or not" experience. We were nervously checking the time as the line, one of
several, slowly inched it's way toward the door.

3. If you're going to start spontaneous hymns, please know
the words and tune.
Protesters are par for the course when it comes to large church events, especially
conference. There was one mad standing close to where the lines were
who had a great big booming voice that I admired though I disagreed with
the things he was saying. A group of people in line behind us were complaining
about the protesters [once you've seen enough of them you just learn to ignore
them, complaining doesn't do any more than arguing with them does] and at several
points, attempted to start up some hymns to drown them out. Now, I'm all for
spontaneous singing, it may actually be one of the best ways to respond,
but it's only effective if 1. You know the words, 2. You know the tune, and
3. Other people join in. And in my experience you've got to have 1 and2
if you even hope to get three. Sadly, these folks had neither 1 nor 2 for
the songs they were singing. It provided a somewhat entertaining
backdrop as we waited though. :P

Finally, we got inside, past the metal detectors which were the perpetrators of
the whole hold-up and into the foyer where we tried to gather ourselves. We
were informed that the only seats left were in the terrace and the balcony.
My tickets had been forthe ground floor but considering it was about 2:10 by
the time we got in, we weren't complaining.

4. If you're in a crowd, keep moving your feet, even if you're standing in
place. People will see you moving and let you through.
This interesting tidbit came from Tim as we were trying to access the thronged
escalator after being informed that all terrace seating was full. The conference center
has several floors and escalators will take you all the way up. Apparently, though,
not everyone knew this trick because on the way, there was a massive pile-up on
one of the intermediate levels that almost forced people back down the up
escalator. With subtle technique and some blatant elbows, we made it to the
top and some open seats.

5. It doesn't matter where you sit.
Sure, I would get there earlier so I could sit closer if I ever go again [mostly
because my eyesight is awful] but the reality is that you don't need
front row seats to feel the spirit that just fills the whole room, massive as it
is. There's only one thing I've ever experienced like it, and that
was when President Monson came to BYU for a devotional. Hearing a sports
arena packed to bursting with college students get instantly quiet when the
Prophet entered is something I'll never forget. Just being in the same room
with so many General Authorities on Saturday was mind-blowing. For instance,
it's one thing to see and hear President Packer on TV or the internet, it's quite
another to see them setting up the chair that he sits in while the choir sang
and the amount of effort it took for him to get from his chair, to the pulpit and
back. When the screens to the side slid out to a view of the choir after he spoke
so as not to broadcast the physical difficulties involved in returning to his
seat, I was touched by the effort made that allowed him his quiet dignity. It was
a reminder of how human our leaders are, but instead of this reducing them
in my eyes it served to elevate my respect and reverence for them.
We know the Lord blesses his apostles and prophets, but that doesn't mean
they become exempt from the struggles that we all face in life.

After the session Tim and I headed back to the car amid sporadic rain drops that never really amounted to much, for which I was grateful. It was such a warm day that even the steady wind felt good but I didn't have a coat and getting wet is never on my list of priorities :P
Then we made the trek down to Delta, a drive that I generally don't mind but having driven up to S.L. and then having to drive an additional hour to the regular 1.5 made the day rather long. We arrived safe and sound though and Tim scooted off to the Priesthood session while I chilled with the girls of his family which included watching the second half of Tangled and holding the newest baby for a while.

Sunday was fabulous, though I'd been sad to hear that the cousins had left unexpectedly before I woke up. This left just me, Tim and his parents in the house, allowing for a quiet Sunday of screaming-children-less conference. We're not supposed to have favorites but I think the two morning sessions were mine, especially Sunday's. I was positively blown away by the messages shared by the brethren. Despite all the running around this weekend, it was probably the calmest two days I've had in a while. I am grateful for the peace that pervaded for those two days. Going into the final stretch, it was a spiritually filling experience much needed.

As many notes as I took during each session, I'll be glad when I can get a copy of the printed talks in the Ensign so I can review them, highlighting and annotating to my heart's content :)

The funny thing about experiences like conference is that it brings out just how easy it is for me, at least, to forget things. Not necessarily the words that were spoken, but the feelings and personal insights that accompanied those words. I felt assurance and peace on several topics in my life that I'm already struggling to hold onto. It's so hard sometimes to transition from such an amazing atmosphere back into the jaded, uncertain, and overwhelmed world without losing your grasp on those good feelings and thoughts. We keep journals for our posterity but I think we keep them for ourselves as well. Alma 46:8 says: Thus we see how quick the children of men do forget the Lord their God, yea, how quick to do iniquity, and to be led away by the evil one.
I think I've always looked at that scripture as those who forget doing so intentionally but I don't think that's always the case. Forgetting is generally not a conscious decision/act.

One thing I know for sure is that I did not want to come back to school and work, major bummer, that. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment