Have you heard of the college triangle? Well it goes like this: you put Social Life, Good Grades, and Sleep on the 3 corners. Then you're told to pick two. This is so incredibly true of college life it's not even funny, though it's vastly simplified as it doesn't even include things like a job or church callings, etc.
Myself, I work in the ILL [Inter-Library Loan] department of my school's library. As a "librarian" of sorts I've heard pretty much all of it, and a good bit of it isn't nice, but today I received possibly the most interesting complement I've ever heard. A student came into our office to pick up a book and after I handed it to him he said "You have a very nice librarian voice." Errrr, thanks? Days when you think you've seen it all or when you're getting so bored out of your mind, that kind of thing seems to pop up.
This weekend I've felt rather home-maker-y. On Friday, after checking out a BBQ place, Tim and I roamed the mall for a while which mostly included me dragging him into various stores like Tai Pan Trading Co. where I actually made a rather good find. We discovered the "on sale" shelves and I nabbed myself a killer set of four ceramic mixing bowls for $8. Are you impressed? I was impressed. Then, when Amber and I found ourselves along on Saturday night we decided to get crafty, with grocery bags. Seriously, we have like a bazillion of those things stuffed under our sink. Even we were surprised how many were there when we pulled them all out.
Rant of the day: This is a new segment that may appear formally or informally in the future. Today it is formally introduced because I have a title for it: Man, I feel like a woman, dun dun dun nun nun dun dun!
[Note: this segment is not for the squeamish kids who can't deal with words like "hormonal," you guys can go play with whatever it is toddlers play with these days.]
When girls are in about the 5th grade everybody gets "the talk" which, for a lot of kids, is the first time they hear words like "puberty," "menstruate," and "maturity." It's also the first time we hear about something called PMS. Now, when this condition is introduced it is portrayed as a time where girls run rampant like Godzilla, stomping around like angry lizards and eating the townspeople. I would like to take a moment to correct this image, not that this doesn't happen, however, as I've grown I've realized that PMS is actually a time when most women exercise an inhuman amount of patience and self-control.
Patience is a virtue best cultivated when one is feeling completely irrational and yet justified. Maturity comes when one is able to recognize that the way you feel is less about the stresses, etc of a situation [like wanting to cry when little things don't go the way you wanted them to or wanting to just walk out on your job when you are by yourself at work again because your boss and coworker are sick at the same time again and you feel like the most dependable thing about your office, minus the appreciation that usually garnishes] and more about something you can't control that will go away in a day or two. A lot of times, keeping my mouth shut is the biggest victory I can ask of myself on days like that. Not making sarcastic comments aimed at roommates or people who look at you "the wrong way," not making a big deal about being disappointed that a surprise totally flopped because you know it was your fault and it's not a big deal anyway.
This whole thing probably makes no sense unless you're a girl and that's fine. I think the biggest point I'd like to make [since making points is compulsory for me] is that, guys, don't criticize your girlfriend/girl friends and get angry at them when they seem to be PMSing because I guarantee you, because this is fact, that for every snarky comment and spontaneously combustible sob session, there have been, and will be, thousands more that you will never hear or see. In a perfect world we would all be able to always control our thoughts and moods and never say things that we don't mean but I'm sure you're all too eager to agree that we are not perfect, so some of it slips out here and there. We appreciate your patience and non-judgmental attitude as we work out the kinks, because we don't like them either.
End rant.
I promise I'll put up something happier soon. For now, here're two youtube videos for you, hopefully they balance each other out.
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteYou captured so many of my own thoughts and feelings EXACTLY! Next time I need a good rant, I'm just going to come to you and have you write it for me. K?
Love, Amber
seriously? I am honestly surprised that you understood that...lol
ReplyDelete