Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You snaggiting maroon

Silly insults can be so fun to come up with especially when they stem from words or phrases that aren't even close to insults. For example: snaggit. Snaggit came as a product of parking space hunting with Tim. When a space opened up I told him to snag it. Honestly, though, college is eroding my ability to speak properly and so the suggestion came out more like snaggit and it stuck. Maroon comes from someone in Tim's family though he's not quite sure who. I find it a rather entertaining spin on "moron."

Silly insults are fun until the insult isn't silly or funny anymore much like an email I received at work this morning in response to a request I made to another library. Judging by the heated-ness of the verbal accostation [and yes, I'm making words up as I go] I'd say that someone has gone too long without a vacation or support/appreciation. I was honestly startled at the immediate vehemence but the conversation ended in a much improved manner which is helping to make the whole thing laughable instead of borderline enraging, haha.

I have an essay due in my sociology class tomorrow that I'm actually interested in writing. I know, blaspheme. No one is allowed to be interested in writing essays in college and generally I hold to that as most essays are not worth getting interested in. This one's a little different, however. For this essay we are supposed to think of one or a few experiences with any area[s] within the humanities that have had a profound influence on us. This is the kind of writing I like to do. The hardest part here is, of course, picking the one or few things to write about. My initial response, and biggest portion of my paper is music. For as long as I can remember [depending on the day that range fluctuates] music has been the best and most consistent medium through which I connect to the larger world and myself at the same time. The ancient Greeks created this thing called the doctrine of ethos which refers to the effect music can have on a person's thoughts, feelings, and behaviors and while the idea is still regarded skeptically by many, I can't help but believe it. I selected 3 songs that I have sung in university choral that have had special significance for me. I would post videos for them but I can't find any that are to my liking when I can find them at all. The first is a song called My Eternal King which was an arrangement that I can't find a recording of on youtube, the same with Emmanuel and My Eternal King. This last is an arrangement by Mack Wilberg, the conductor of the Tabernacle Choir. I'm actually fairly depressed that I can't share them because these are some of my favorite choir pieces ever, maybe I can find a way to get my recordings up here. Each of them have gotten so under my skin that singing them is a challenge because the entire time I'm fighting the urge to burst into tears [happy ones]. I'm also referencing Congratulations by Blue October which I've already linked in another post. There is just something about music that speaks better than I ever could and evokes feelings that are so much more potent than anything I could imagine myself especially when it comes to situations that I've never experienced like the one expressed in Congratulations. As much as I love to write and love to view art, etc, there is no substitute for music and the very special place I have for it in my heart and soul.

My love of the humanities doesn't stop at music though. As I was telling Tim recently, I feel like I live my life in the humanities, only stepping outside into math and science when I absolutely have to. My personal belief is that psychology, specifically counseling, is a part of the humanities, lol. I'm also trying to include non-music things and I immediately thought of my visit to the Holocaust museum in D.C. about two years ago now. I am fascinated with the Holocaust which sounds incredibly morbid, I know, but there's something about it that draws me to it even though it sickens me, literally. After walking through that museum I felt physically ill and it took me a good portion of the rest of the day to recover though the haunted feeling lingers for far longer. I have been to a lot of museums in my life and while I have loved many the Holocaust museum beats out all the others hands down. I can't even describe to someone who hasn't been there how perfectly it is all put together, how potent the experience and how even though some things really make you want to vomit you keep looking because this is what we must learn from, this is something we can never let happen again. This place is not for the faint of heart or stomach but I recommend it to anyone headed to D.C.

So. It is officially March and I am glad. These next two weeks will be about flying by the seat of my pants but I'll get through. It's handy that my block class just ended last week, opening up 6 hours of my week for homework and study time. Hopefully I can harness that the way I should.
Chances are I'll encounter numerous distractions though, like rousing games of Mystery Mansion as we played at FHE last night. It's hilarious to watch grown students get so into a board game that's so old it was purchased on ebay. Personally, I hope I never lose that excitement. I plan on being one of those parents that smothers their children with enthusiasm for things that may be deemed "old" like board and card games and Broadway and museums :)

At the end of FHE last night, as we were standing around munching cookies and drinking milk, someone asked us what we would be a spokesperson for if we could be a spokesperson for anything. It's a bizarre and yet intriguing question, especially as the asker [a male] said he would be a spokesperson for argyle and he's definitely not gay. I had a hard time thinking of something and though my original idea was to be a spokesperson for grass and trees I declined answering as such from embarassment. But I have admitted it now so now I ask you, dear readers, what would you be a spokesperson for?

No comments:

Post a Comment