Friday, February 18, 2011

"I know in the end that just being here is the best and it only gets better"

Although at the moment I feel like a more angsty title I'll stick with this one because it more appropriately describes the overall feelings for today and lately in general.

Last night was the long-anticipated trip to WinCo and Chelsea got to come along. Neither of us had ever been to WinCo before so everything was incredibly new and rather exciting as far as grocery stores go :P For those of you not acquainted with the store, they have an area where there are various chocolates, nuts, seeds, grains, etc in big tube dispensers so you can get however much you'd like. There was so much chocolate that Chelsea was literally a kid in a candy store which was incredibly amusing to watch. Tim never should have worried that he'd built the place up too much. Can I just say that buying in bulk is awesome? Granted, I still need a lot of smaller portion things but I was so excited to buy Triscuits and other items in bulk size, something rather satisfying about that, really.

Ah, Friday :) This semester I truly say TGIF, especially because I don't have to be on campus until 11 these days. Getting a full 9 hours of sleep felt like heaven this morning, making for a great start to a pretty sweet day. I realized when I got up that I actually had options for breakfast courtesy of my shopping trip and I was baffled for a while as to what to eat. I love having shelves full of food and I know there's someone out there who would have loved the muffin I had this morning and hates me for only being able to eat half of it before being full, but don't worry stranger! I put the rest in a sandwich bag! It shall not be wasted!
In sociology we got to watch a movie about discovering how Joseph Smith really looked for the whole class period because my teacher was gone. It was just bonus that the movie was actually interesting :P

I've been thinking lately that I should maybe start planning out my classes for fall since we do register absurdly early. I'm not really sure where to start though, to be honest. Going back and forth between what GEs I have left and what major courses I'm actually allowed to take at this point can be rather confusing. It's also a little frightening to see the next two years getting laid out in front of you. Everything moves too fast when you grow up.

At the same time, there's no other place I'd really rather be than where I am now. As Demi so wonderfully says it: just being here is the best. It can be easy to forget all the things that got you to where you are today when you're caught up in all the things you have to do to get you to tomorrow. This isn't to say that we should start living in the past, but remembering all the awesome things that we've done and all the hard work we've given for the awesome things we have can be a great confidence booster when you feel like you're going nowhere fast. Remembering how daunted you felt applying to college or the first time you asked someone out and knowing that you survived can remind you that you can accomplish anything. Sometimes it'll take tears and sometimes you'll have to make major changes in what may have been "grand life plans" but where you end up in the long run after some elbow grease will always be better than where you began. I think people get down on themselves because they feel like they haven't done anything spectacular in their lives, they haven't done anything of note. This mentality ignores all the things that life has taught you which, in my opinion, should be the most note-worthy thing in anyone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment