Thursday, February 17, 2011

Puppy Love

I went to sleep last night, snuggled up to the stuffed animal puppy [dubbed Hinkle] that Tim gave me for Valentine's Day. I have always loved stuffed animals but I've never slept with them with any kind of consistency mostly because by morning they've usually been push to the side of the bed, if not off. This is mainly because I do an awful lot of tossing and turning in the night and the little fluffy things can get in the way. This morning, however, I awoke to discover that I was still holding Hinkle and hadn't relegated him to the wall side of the bed again. While this was technically due to the fact that apparently I hadn't tossed at all last night, it still made me smile.

One of my roommates collects rubber ducks. She has hundreds of them at home and a select portion of her collection with her here at school. I think if I ever collected anything with my children it would be stuffed animals. They would be everywhere.

Today I get to finally do my ballet midterm which promises sore muscles and held breath for the better part of an hour but I get to go to the dinosaur museum afterward! Yes, our school has a dinosaur museum. Granted, it's not very big at all and they have very few complete skeletons but it's still a pretty sweet place. I'm also looking forward to my first ever Windco [Winco?] adventure tonight. I need me some Triscuits.

Good news from yesterday: I did really well on both my tests! I did marginally well on my stats quiz but it's stats, I'm not too torn over it, especially since I just did all the extra credit last night....

The warm sun has left us today, leaving us with about a quarter inch of the 4 inches of snow we were predicted to get. You could tell yesterday that something was coming because around 2pm the wind picked up in a big way and continued on through the evening for quite some time, bringing with it clouds and then snow. It's so fun to watch the weather sometimes, especially when you know what's going on. As I walked across campus in the wind I thought about how the low pressure area that had been with us the past few days must have moved rather rapidly from Provo and now a higher pressure system was rushing in to take its place. Because nature hates a vacuum, right? As much as it has a propensity to destroy my hair, I really love wind, especially the wind we had. It reminded me of spring storms in New York that can pick up quick as anything, whipping tree limbs around in a frenzy and sometimes even blowing so hard as to flatten the field grass from last year right to the ground. In New York, though, such storms are accompanied with rain, now snow, especially at the end of such warm days. That kind of wind is warm with just a touch of a cool edge, carrying air that seems to be more substantial than the air puffed along by winter breezes. The air is fuller now, blowing in your face in a massive puff instead of skinny fingers that tug at your hair and coat. I know that spring will be much faster in passing here than it would be at home so I'm watching avidly for those days to make sure I don't miss any of them before the heat and airlessness of summer chase them away to shadier, more temperate climates.

I can't wait for school to be over, not that I hate my classes, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about homework for four months for a change. Plus, there are lots of road trips on the prospective calender for the summer. Amber, the only roommate who's staying, will have a car and we're looking at going to Canab for the 4th of July. She tells me that the fireworks are awesome there :) And, of course, a road trip to California is in the works because we can't let Chelsea get married without us there to celebrate with her! I'm also hoping to get to my mom's family reunion in July. It looks like there's a lot of driving ahead of me this summer but I'm actually looking forward to spending so much awesome time with Amber and probably Tim as well :)

2 comments: