Thursday, February 10, 2011

Nothing quite like dinner, a movie, and a back rub

My baby spoils me, he really does. I've been pretty sleep deprived in a bad way this week and, even though I'm sure he'd rather have done something more interesting last night he basically catered to me, which he does all the time really. That, plus my headache made me feel vaguely like a 5 year old who is sick, but in a good way. Tim gets a little frustrated sometimes because I have a hard time making decisions about little things like what I'd like to do first, movie or back rub. He ended up asking me last night if I had any preferences whatsoever and I answered honestly "not really." And I don't. Sure there are some things I don't like but the majority of the time I'm more concerned about catering to someone else's preferences rather than my own.

So Zac comes today, my roommate's beau. I've known this kid for about a year now but I've never actually met him, saying "hi" over skype doesn't count either so it'll be weird to finally occupy the same space for once. Chelsea's ecstatic because they haven't seen each other since Thanksgiving and the time apart is wearing on both of them. He's only here till Monday though and I worry some that the goings on of this weekend will feel more formally business like in transaction for the sake of time. I'll just have to wait for things to pan out.

Nothing like the walk to school for vent time. Living with 4 other girls can raise a lot of heckles and despite my propensity to empathize with basically anyone there are times when I can't anymore simply because it's too much. I can only make sympathetic noises about the same old complaints so many times when the person doesn't do anything to help themselves. Hopefully my patience for this increases in the future so I don't lose clients :P Thank goodness Tim hasn't lost patience with me yet, heaven knows I talk his ear off on occasion.

There is little more frustrating than wanting to write, trying to write, and not being able to. I suppose this is why I'd never be a famous writer :P I had this infuriating problem yesterday afternoon when I was trying to occupy time constructively. It's been a while since I've written anything but just sitting down and writing rarely works. Luckily, somethings, like a new notepad, can do the trick occasionally as was happily the case. Now I am toying with what I consider a fairly delightful piece that may or may not go somewhere I like. I'll be sure to post it if it does though because I like sharing, yes I do.

I need to start reading again. Amber and I have made up a book list for the summer since all we'll really be doing is work. This list is so overdue and I wish I had the time to start it now. College teaches you so much but it robs you of time for personal stress-relief and imagination expansion which was my favorite part of childhood. I love the feeling of devouring a book, knowing you'll go back to read it again because you've jumped in and swam as fast as you could, taking in only emotional impressions and sweeping ideas, but loving the rush of words like a spring breeze through your mind. To quote the Phantom "silently the senses abandon their defenses." Reading lets you travel to places you've never been and, often, never will be, to meet people so intriguing and as simple or complex as you please that you'll wonder if you were really in that conversation. Good literature feeds the mind the way good scripture feeds the soul and sometimes the lines are crossed and each enriches the other. I decided at a very young age that I will read to my children extensively. I will introduce them to the wonders of childrens books, inspiring memoirs, fantastical fiction and maybe even some non-fiction ;) To share my love of reading with my children would be one of the best things I think I could do as a mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment