Monday, February 14, 2011

I used to wake up to birds singing...

Now it's the dulcet tones of an electric toothbrush that wake me from my slumber.

So, my roommate got engaged on Friday! I am so excited for her and her fiance. The major bummer is that he was only out for five days and he flies back to California later this afternoon which I know is going to be hard for her. Opening night for The Importance of Being Earnest [the play she's in right now] is tonight, plus it's Valentine's Day so this separation which would be painful on a normal day is bound to be that much more potent today.

Especially in situations like these I am finding myself torn because I'm going to Tim's right after class tonight for the rest of the evening which I have been excited for since he started teasing me about this "surprise" he's constructed but part of me feels like I may be a bad friend for not staying home and taking care of Chelsea. I know that this time in our lives, especially as friends start getting married, etc, it's generally time for some space to grow between but I want to have everything, to be able to take care of everyone. What I'm finding out is that doesn't work so well and someone always ends up feeling less important. I know where I need to focus my priorities but it's hard for me to let go of some habits and impulses. I only hope I can learn to balance them before I'm left with nothing and no one to balance and that my friends will be forgiving along the way.

Valentine's day in elementary school was always the best. You'd board the bus in the morning with a mass of [probably] store-bought cards that your mom spent an hour finishing for you the night before when you ran out of patience and some treats your mother baked for the class, more likely covered in red and pink frosting than not. At school, you'd cram your surprises into/under your desk until it was time for the party and as you passed out your valentines, which always seemed special even though everyone got one, you'd try not to peak into your box, decorated with so many hearts and ribbons that finding the open slot was like a scavenger hunt.
I may not be much for the extravagance of today's holiday anymore but there is still one thing I love: making cards. Even after the elementary parties faded to memories I still made at least one card every year and the making of the card was often more fun than the giving of it. I'm not sure why but I just enjoy getting crafty with paper, glue, and pens. I'm working on Tim's right now and I hope he doesn't mind the somewhat frilly nature of it despite the lack of ribbon :P

No comments:

Post a Comment